Norton is a very well-known antivirus for protecting your devices from all kinds of new threats like malware, hackers, and cybercriminals. Norton offers good security to Windows, Mac, Android as well as iOS devices. Norton offers reliable security to its users but people may face Norton error 8504 sometimes.
The interface of Norton antivirus is very robust where a user barely faces any compile-time errors. But Norton Security error 8504 and 104 is a runtime error that can occur due to various reasons.
Symptoms of Norton Internet Security error 8504 and 104
- Your computer will show Norton 360 error 8504 104 every time you open a program
- Your current running program crashes and Norton error will be displayed on the screen
- While you are trying to scan from your Norton antivirus; Norton Internet Security has encountered an Error 8504 104 that will appear on the screen.
- Your computer will respond to input devices (mouse and keyboard) lately.
- You may also experience periodically freezes.
Causes of Norton Internet Security Error 8504 and 104
- You have downloaded faulty setup
- Your installation process gets corrupted
- You have deleted Norton files mistakenly
- Your antivirus is showing conflict with another program
Methods to fix Norton error 8504
Try repairing registry entries
Your antivirus or other programs can show errors while your registry files get corrupted. You can edit the registry files manually but it is not recommendable because if you edit the wrong file then you may get into other problems. So you should always get help from professionals before editing the files. Always create a backup key before you start editing registry entries. Follow the given steps for creating a backup key of Norton antivirus:
- Open your PC
- Click on the Start menu
- Type command on the search bar and press the Enter button
- A permission box will appear on the screen
- Hit the Yes button
- Type regedit on the command prompt
- Press the Enter button
- You will see a registry editor on your screen
- Scroll down and search for Norton related key
- Go to the export range and click on the selected branch
- Provide a name to the key (Norton Backup Key)
- Hit the save button
- Your Norton backup file will get saved with .reg extension
Once you get the Norton backup key then ask any technical person for editing the registry files. Do not edit the files yourself if you are not from a technical background.
Cleanout the junk from your computer
Sometimes temporary files can also create conflict with various programs. If you are not sure that what is causing Norton antivirus error 8504 then removing temporary files and other junk from your device can be helpful. It will also clean out your device and remove all unnecessary files. You can use disk cleanup tools for removing junk from your computer:
- Open your computer
- Click on the start menu
- Go to the search bar and type cleanmgr
- Press the Enter button
- The Disk Cleanup tool will start running on your computer and find out all the accumulated space that can be cleaned up
- You will get a list of checkboxes on the screen
- Check all the boxes you can remove from your computer
- Make sure you have checked temporary files box
- Now click on Ok button
The disk cleanup tool will remove all the junk files from your device. Check whether your Norton error 8504 104 gets fixed or not.
If you are still unable to fix your Norton error then uninstall Norton antivirus from your computer and provide a fresh Norton installation.